Celebrating 60 years in the Heart of Europe
The Belgian Chamber of Translators and Interpreters (CBTI-BKVT) marked their 60th birthday celebrating in Brussels, the heart of Europe, with invited guests, FIT President Dr Henry Liu and presidents of many of our European associations.
Invited presenters at the celebratory conference included Agnès Feltkamp and Chris Durban - speakers well known to the FIT Family. Honorary President Jean-Bernard Quicheron’s many animated anecdotes painted a fascinating overview of CBTI-BKVT history. President Liu outlined the chamber’s strong historical support for FIT and reiterated the particular importance of solidarity in Europe today.
The FIT Europe General Assembly followed the celebrations.
President Liu also took advantage of the occasion to pay a special visit to Professor René Haeseryn, FIT Honorary Advisor and Honorary Editor of Babel. From his residence in Ghent, under the glorious autumnal sun, he sent his warm greetings to the entire Federation and was pleased to see FIT continues to break new ground.
During the five-day official visit, the FIT President also met with:
- AIIC and Red T, partners of advocacy effort on behalf of conflict zone interpreters
- The Head of Translation Service in NATO
- The Head of Interpreting Service in NATO
- Director General of Translation at the European Commission
- The Head of Unit (Professional and Organisational Development) at DG Translation
- The President of ENPSIT