Ensuring Good Governance, Building for the Future
The FIT Executive Committee (EC) shared the buzzing metropolis of Lima with the world’s central bankers this month, as FIT EC, the IMF and the World Bank met for their respective meetings.
Graciously hosted by joint invitation of the FIT Legal Interpreting and Translation Task Force and the Colegio de Traductores del Perú in collaboration with Universidad Femenina del Sagrado Corazón (UNIFÉ), Universidad Ricardo Palma, César Vallejo University and Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas, the FIT Executive Committee meeting addressed issues regarding the running of the Federation as prescribed in the By-laws, reviewed all the governing documents of the Federation, and proposed considered changes to further reinforce sound governance. These changes will be further discussed in Council and drafted in ample time for wider consultation.
Following completion of the Executive Committee meeting, the President along with EC members and Alison Rodriguez, the Council member in charge of the XXI FIT Congress in Brisbane, attended the sixth General Assembly of FIT LatAm and supported the successful XII International Forum on Legal Translation and Interpreting, to celebrate the first time this specialised Forum was held outside of Europe.
The FIT delegation also met with local stakeholders to increase visibility. These included:
- Colegio de Traductores del Peru (CTP), one of the two local member associations
- The Deputy Rector of UNIFÉ, host of the XII International Forum, discussing areas of common interest and possible future collaboration
- The Head of Translation and Interpreting Department of César Vallejo University, identifying training trends and priorities within the local industry as well as avenues for future cooperation
- Students of both universities, outlining the work of FIT, the future of the profession and the importance of multidisciplinary training
- Senior officials of Peruvian Ministries for Foreign Affairs and for Culture
A virtual meeting of full Council will follow this Executive Committee Meeting later in November 2015.
The Executive Committee will next meet in Xi’an in June 2016, while attending the 8th Asia-Pacific Translators’ and Interpreters’ Forum (APTIF) and appreciates the kind invitation from XISU and TAC.