The International Federation of Translators (FIT) and the Asociación Cubana de Traductores e Intérpretes (ACTI), as the hosting organisation, are pleased to announce the XXII FIT World Congress, to be held from 3 to 5 December 2020, in Varadero, Cuba. All language professionals are welcome to join us for the first FIT World Congress ever to be held in Latin America.
The work language professionals do is not always valued enough. However, our work makes it possible to enjoy world literature and the fruits of scientific and technological progress, assist those affected by conflict or natural disasters, and access different cultures. Understanding among nations and the pursuit of peace would be at risk without the contributions of language professionals. Translation, terminology and interpretation support the human rights and fundamental freedoms that are crucial for sustainable development, inclusive governance, peace and social equity. They are vital to creating a viable and desirable future.
Translators, terminologists, interpreters and other language professionals are invited to dialogue on the broad theme A World without Barriers: The Role of Language Professionals in Building Culture, Understanding and Peace. Some of the topics we would like to address during the XXII FIT World Congress are, among others:
- Current and future issues affecting language professionals’ work
- Sign languages
- Legal translation and interpreting
- Literary translation and access to minority languages and cultures
- Language professionals in international organisations
- Risks interpreters and translators face in their work environments
- Relationships between practitioners, academics, agencies and clients in the TTI sector
- Benefits and threats of the internet and CAT tools
- Training of language professionals and the need to keep up with rapidly changing times
FIT and ACTI are committed to providing a forum for exchanging ideas, fostering the development of professional relationships between translators and interpreters, agencies and language service users, government entities, third-party organisations and other industry stakeholders, and promoting ethics and quality standards throughout the industry.
If you are interested in attending the XXII FIT World Congress, please contact email@example.com to have your name added to the preregistration list to ensure you receive future announcements.
Call for Papers
If you would like to present a paper at the Congress, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org to request the Speaker Proposal Form. Proposals should be received no later than 30 April 2020. The Programme Committee will review your proposal and give you an answer before 30 June 2020.
The Congress will be held in FIT’s official languages (English and French) plus Spanish. Most presentations and panel discussions will be interpreted.
- Presentations: 20 min + 10 min Q&A
- Posters: displayed throughout the day, with the presenter being available for 40 min to answer questions from attendees
- Panels: 60 min + 30 min Q&A from the floor
- Workshops: 120 min
Please share this invitation with your language colleagues, professional associations and translation agencies. The more numerous, diverse and representative the participants, the richer the discussion and exchange on these topics will be.
See you in Varadero, 3 to 5 December 2020!